Get your boat license on the Internet

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Modern Technology


I recently acquired a new laptop computer. The old one I was using was, well, old. It still worked, but didn't have the capabilities I now need.

This new unit is an Acer Aspire. It is equipped with a 1.6 gigahertz Celeron processor, 80 gig hard drive, DVD burner, built in wireless, and flash card reader. The best part was the price. I paid $535 for it at Future Shop in July and I thought that was cheap (in an inexpensive way), but just this week saw them in the Wal-Mart flyer for the super low price of $469.00. Too bad my 30 day price match guarantee is over :-( But I'm not complaining . . .

The thing works great and I am really impressed with he graphics. My office desktop has an LCD monitor and after not using it for the three weeks we were away noticed how much crisper the screen is on the laptop. Not only that, but downloading photos/videos from the SD cards my camera uses is WAY faster than on my desktop. I am thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that it uses the new Windows Vista operating system. Maybe Microsoft finally got something right with improved camera/PC interface?? It would be interesting to see if other users have had a similar experience.

On an average weekend I would take between 200 - 300 photos and maybe 5 video clips with my digital still camera. That's roughly 1 gig of memory. What would normally take 30 - 45 minutes to download onto my desktop (XP) takes only 5 - 10 minutes on the laptop. Very cool. And they look nicer there, too :-)

No comments: