Get your boat license on the Internet

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Their Big Adventure

Back in March of this year, my chiropractor, Dr. Bob, sent me a link to a Blogger Blog that is published by a friend of his - a boater doing a grand tour of the Caribbean. Titled 'Our Big Adventure - At Last' , it follows the crew of 'At Last' during their ongoing trip.

Dr. Bob had the good fortune to spend some time aboard 'At Last' and, knowing how much we love boating, was good enough to share the blog. Sure, given the fact that it was April when I first saw the blog, I was slightly depressed to see those folks enjoying the sun and seas while I was still working on getting our boat ready for relaunch - in the freezing cold;-) But soon thereafter my initial case of melancholy turned to inspiration after looking at the pictures, reading about their escapades and seeing how much fun they were having. Truly an adventure.

And that's why I'm now sharing it with you. Hopefully the same inspiration might overtake you to seek out your own adventure on the water. Something as simple as visiting a new area - even by car to see what awaits you.

Back when our kids were little and we really didn't have any money, I would tell my wife to pack some sandwiches in the cooler and have the kids get ready for a day out and take them to an unannounced destination for a day trip. We went to see the Peterborough Liftlock, Kirkfield Liftlock and the Big Chute - all by car. Even though we didn't have a boat at that time, it was something new and quite out of the ordinary for all of us.

Trips like that eventually led to us buying our first boat. Then another. And another. Now, five boats later we have crossed another threshold - to thoughts of long distance, live aboard cruising.

That's still a few years off, but, just like in the 'olden days', my wife & I will take off to boat shows to learn about different styles of boats and continue to venture out on the water to new (albeit relatively close to home) destinations. All leading us to our own Big Adventure :-)

No comments: