Get your boat license on the Internet

Monday, August 13, 2007

Time Flies

I don't know how many times I seem to say this lately, but 'I can't believe it was that long ago'! A few anniversaries of note coming up this week.

It was already four years since the big blackout of '03. That was an experience. I remember driving home from work and on the way discovering the two sets of traffic lights being out. Then it was the power garage door opener at that - didn't. When my son called me to say he had heard the power was out right down to New York City, I knew we'd be in for a long night. With that, I drove to my wife's work and told her what was happening and that it was time to close up shop - we were heading down to the boat!

At least there we would have 12 volts of refrigeration and lights. Besides, there wasn't much else to do, given it was the hottest weekend of the year. Mow the lawn? I think not.

In no time, there were a number of other like minded friends showing up and before you knew it, we had a party at the end of the dock. Sure was neat to look around and only see blackness! It was a party atmosphere all around that night. Goes to show how the boating life brings us together for allot of reasons:-)

The other big thing (or is it 'thang'?) from this week is the 30th anniversary of the passing of The King, the Big 'E' - Elvis Presley. Wow, 30 years, man. Yes, I remember that day, arriving home to my sister & (future/former) brother-in-law telling me he was dead. Even though I was only 14 (I thought I was allot older than I was then), it was a great shock.

Over the years I have come to be a big fan. The little 'E' shown here is a cool window Elvis my wife picked up for me at the dollar store. He is hanging from the windshield of our boat, right in front of the two stuffed pigs and 1 set of fuzzy dice (I think I am allot younger than I am).

Thank you, thank you very much . . .

Finally, I lost a good friend three years ago - one of our boating buddies. This picture of Dan & his wife, Janice, aboard their boat is probably one of the best ways to remember the guy.

As for right now, I'd say that he's out there somewhere, next to a stream or lake with a fishing rod in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other. Happy fishing there, Chunky. Save a cold one for me. . .

No comments: